Teen Patti Rules
While Andar Bahar and Teen Patti are quite different in their approaches, both are very easy to play and offer fast and exciting gameplay. In this guide, we’ll be concentrating on how how to play Teen Patti and the Teen Patti rules and tricks.
What is Teen Patti?
Teen Patti, or Teen Pathi, is a Hindi phrase which means “three cards”. This is because the game uses only three cards to determine winners and payouts, and is loosely based on three-card poker. In some areas, Teen Patti is also known as Flush or Flash and has very similar rules to the traditional British card game known as Three Card Brag.
Like most poker, blackjack and other card games, Teen Patti uses a standard 52 card deck. The ranking of cards in Teen Patti follows the standard presented in the pack. This is to say, Ace is the highest rank, going all the way down to the 2 cards, the lowest value card in the pack.
While Teen Patti rules does not really limit the number of players who can participate in a game, the average is usually four to seven per game.
Teen Patti rules also shares other traits with traditional Western poker games. For example, all players must agree on a minimum stake before the game begins. In a casino, online or otherwise, the table will list the minimum stake required. All wagers are collected in the centre of the table in a pot, similar to poker. The dealer deals three cards to each player, and all players place bets on who has the best three-card hand.
There are two playing options that players can go for. If players wish to see their cards before betting, this is known as ‘playing seen’. On the other hand, players can choose to bet without seeing their cards. This is known as ‘playing blind’.
Teen Patti Hand Rankings
While Teen Patti may be a distant cousin to other poker forms, the game comes with its own hand ranking system.
- Trail: A Trail, also known as a Set or Trio, contains three cards of the same rank. The best Trail that one can get in Teen Patti is three Aces, followed by three Kings and so forth.
- Pure Sequence: A Pure Sequence, also known as a Straight Run, contains three consecutive cards of the same suit. The highest Pure Sequence one can get in Teen Patti is Ace, 2, 3. Other top Pure Sequence combinations include Ace, King, Queen, and King, Queen, Jack. A Pure Sequence of 4, 3, 2 is the lowest Pure Sequence in the game.
- Sequence: A Sequence, also known as a Run, contains three consecutive cards. These do not have to be of the same suit. The best example of a Sequence is Ace, 2, 3 (of any suit), followed by King, Queen, Jack and so forth.
- Colour: This can be any three cards as long as they are the entire same suit. When it comes to more than one player playing colour trio combinations, the highest value cards are compared against each other. The highest colour trio combination would be Ace, King, Jack. The lowest would be 5, 3, 2.
- Pairs: This can be two cards of the same rank within your trio combination. Again, when more than one player is playing Pairs, the highest pairs are compared with one another. Thus, the highest Pair combination is Ace, Ace, and King. The lowest Pair combination is 2, 2, 3.
- High Card: This can be any three cards that do not fit into any other ranking definitions. Again, players will compare the highest value card first, then the next, then the third. Thus, the best three-card hand in this category would be Ace, King, and Jack (any suits).
Teen Patti Gameplay and Betting Procedures
The start of a round of Teen Patti begins with the player positioned on the dealer’s left side. Each player gets a turn to play in as many rounds as necessary to determine the winner.
Each player has the option to add to the pot with an additional bet or choose to fold. When a player folds, they no longer participate in the game and do not add their money to the pot. However, once a player folds, they also forfeit whatever they have put in the pot up to that point.
Teen Patti Rules – Stake or Betting Amount
Once the minimum stake has been agreed upon, rounds of betting can begin. From there, the amount that you need to bet is determined by the current stake amount.
Another factor determining how much you need to bet will depend on if you are playing ‘seen’ or ‘unseen’. In other words, if you have seen your cards or not.
In Hindi, if you are playing as a seen player, the term ‘chaal’ is used. Those that choose to play as chaal are required to bet twice the stake amount.
On the other hand, blind players (those that have not looked at their cards) are required to put in the stake amount at a minimum.
However, they can put in more if they choose to, but not more than twice the current stake amount. For the next player, the current stake amount becomes whatever the previous player put in.
Blind players can also choose to look at their cards when their turn comes around. In this case, they then become seen players and must bet accordingly. In other words, at least twice the stake amount, but no more than four times the current stake amount. The current stake for the next player after that then becomes half of that amount.
Concluding the Game
Betting rounds continue in Teen Patti in the fashion described above. The game will conclude in one of two ways:
- Except for one player, all players have folded (removed themselves from the round). If this happens, the last surviving player automatically wins all the pot’s money with no contest. In this instance, the cards that the winning player was holding are of no consequence. So, even if your starting hand is a poor one, you can still win a game of Teen Patti on sheer bluff alone.
- All players, except for two players, have folded. In this instance, one of the two players pays for a ‘show’. This can only happen when it is their turn, and then the two remaining players reveal their cards. The quality of the hands is compared to determine a final winner.
Teen Patti Rules for a Show
- A show can only happen once only two players are left in the game, and all other players have folded.
- Blind players must pay the current stake value in order to purchase a show. It does not matter if the other player is a seen player or a blind player. The blind player that pays for the show can only look at their cards once they have paid the current stake value.
- If one player is a seen player, and the other a blind player, the seen player cannot demand a show. Only the blind player can buy the show. In this instance, the seen player must continue to bet, or fold.
- If both players are seen players, one or the other can buy a show twice the current stake.
- Once the cards are revealed (the show), the higher hand ranking player will win the pot.
- If the show reveals a tie (both players hands are of equal value), then the player that did not buy the show is the winner.
What is a Side Show?
Teen Patti is one of the most interesting card games available, and there are plenty of interesting options available to players. One of these is known as the ‘Side Show’. This is slightly different to the Show, and works as follows:
The Side Show only occurs in a Teen Patti game where all the players are seen, players. If you are playing and have bet the minimum amount required (twice the current stake), you can ask the player that preceded you for a compromise.
This compromise is known as a sideshow, and the player can refuse or accept your request. If the player accepts, then you and the player compare hands privately. This means that the other players at the table still cannot see either of your hands.
If your hand is stronger than the other players, that player must immediately fold. However, if he’s hand is stronger than yours, you must immediately fold. If the hands are of equal value, the player that asked for the Side Show or compromise must fold.
Playing Teen Patti Live Online
Teen Patti is available for lovers of Teen Patti, or for those who wish to try the game out online in a live betting environment. Dozens of great online casinos now offer live Teen Patti. These live games work in the same way as other live dealers casino games such as live baccarat, live poker, live roulette and live blackjack.